Due to a cock up by the useless morons that work at my doctors surgery, Peanut had her 8 week vaccinations yesterday, at 10.5 weeks.

The surgery decided to ram a vaccination brochure in with her appointment into a regular envelope and stick a normal first class stamp on it. Needless to say a week later I got a card from the post office saying she had a letter that had been under paid and I needed to pick it up the next day and pay £1.50 for the privilege. This meant that by the time I got the letter I had half an hour to get to the appointment. Needless to say, we didn’t make it.

I had kind of figured that we could get an appointment the next day but apparently the vaccinations can ONLY be done at baby clinic which is ONLY on a Thursday and the following week was full, hence yesterday’s appointment.

I will never understand this. They have the vaccination in house so why the hell do they restrict appointments to one bloody day?!

Making sure OH was home in time from a business trip to London was a bit of a logistical nightmare but I simply can not do vaccinations. It goes against all my maternal instincts to pin my baby down whilst it screams in pain so it’s his job to do the holding whilst I try and contain my sobs whilst shushing in their ear.

It was particularly bad this time as there is the added Meningitis vaccination given (DS narrowly missed out on the introduction of this) which meant 3 jabs and the oral, as opposed to DS’ 2.

Barring the inevitable screaming she did good, she even resisted projectile vomiting the oral rotovirus vaccine that they insist ALL babies love (well I can categorically say that neither of mine loved it, far from it).

Due to the nature of the Meningitis vaccination, they recommend giving a dose of Calpol (2.5ml) when you get home and then atleast 2-3 more doses afterwards as a low grade temperature is a common side effect.

Peanut fell asleep in the car on the way home and barring getting a dose of Calpol in her and a small feed she slept all afternoon and early evening, woke at 8 for some more calpol and another feed then slept again until 2. She was boiling hot at this time but a very mild increase in body temperature so repeated Calpol and feed, opened some windows and then she slept until 6 (had it not be for DS’ usual noisy appearance she’d have probably slept longer).

It’s now 10am and she’s been asleep since pre-school run.

I truly hate having them endure their inoculations but I know how important it is for them and am now left with the dilemma as to whether to find the money to get DS his Meningitis vaccination despite telling him all his jabs are done now until he’s a teenager. Don’t relish breaking my promise but also don’t want to take the risk of him catching the disease. Though how likely is that? Dilemmas, dilemmas!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s